I was appointed Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Harrogate District Hospital and York Hospital in 2001. My special interests include medical retinal diseases (age-related macular degeneration, diabetic eye disease and retinal vascular disease).
I have been lead clinician for age-related macular degeneration treatment services in North Yorkshire. My training included subspeciality fellowship in medical retinal diseases at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London with specialist attachment at the Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, USA. I’ve also undertaken Specialist Ophthalmic training rotation in Yorkshire and General Medical (internal medicine) training rotation in Leeds.
I have taken a leading role in developing new services for eye care locally, regionally and nationally. My quality of care, as demonstrated by audit, far exceeds national and international standards.
I have pioneered the introduction of the regional age-related macular (AMD) service which has been praised nationally. I am an examiner for the Royal College of Ophthalmologists and an investigator in a number of national and international research studies. In addition, I have advised NICE and Department of Health on age-related macular degeneration.
Cataract surgery audits show my results to far exceed UK and international standards (posterior capsule rupture rate, from an audit of 3,500 consecutive cases, is 20-50 times lower than national and international audits).
- Small incision cataract surgery, including toric, extended range lenses, multifocal and add on intraocular lenses
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD), including laser treatments, photodynamic therapy (PDT); intravitreal injections of VEGF inhibitors such as Lucentis (Ranibizumab), Aflibercept (Eylea) and Avastin (bevacizumab)
- Diabetic retinopathy assessment and treatments including laser and intravitreal therapies
- Retinal laser treatments
- Treatments for macular oedema of various causes including branch, central retinal vein occlusions and diabetes using intravitreal ozurdex implants, lucentis and avastin injections
- Specialist in interpreting OCT retinal scans (ocular coherence tomography), fluorescein angiography and ICG angiography
- General ophthalmology, including glaucoma
Telephone: 01423 553580