I have wide experience in general surgery, colorectal surgery, gastrointestinal endoscopy and emergency general surgery at consultant level.
My main subspecialty interest is in the minimally invasive treatment of colorectal disease. In this regard I am an expert colonoscopist. I perform the majority of major colorectal resections by a laparoscopic (keyhole) technique, and I have acquired experience in transanal minimally invasive surgery (TAMIS). I also have particular experience and expertise in the management of anorectal disorders.
I qualified in medicine with honours from the University of Birmingham in 1991 and did house jobs in the West Midlands. I then relocated to London where I undertook post-graduate specialty training in surgery and where I developed my special interest in colorectal surgery.
I took up a post as a consultant general surgeon with an interest colorectal surgery at Scarborough Hospital in 2004 before moving to a similar consultant post at Harrogate District Hospital in 2008.
In addition to my clinical interests I have held a number of managerial, leadership and educational roles during my consultant career to date. These include:
- Lead Clinician for Colorectal Cancer, Scarborough Hospital, 2004-2008
- Foundation Training Programme Director, Scarborough Hospital, 2006-2008
- Clinical Lead for General Surgery, Harrogate District Hospital, 2013-2016
- BMA Consultant Representative and LNC member, 2017-present
- Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery
- Colorectal Surgery
- Colonoscopy (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- TAMIS (transanal minimally invasive surgery)
- Anorectal Surgery
- Colorectal Cancer
- Colorectal Polyps
- Anorectal Conditions: Anal fistula; Anal fissure; Haemorrhoids; Anal tags, polyps, warts
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Rectal Prolapse
- Functional Bowel Disorders including faecal incontinence and IBS
- Upper GI endoscopy
- General Surgery
- Hernia Surgery
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
- Parathyroid Surgery